Wednesday, March 4, 2009

TY IS HERE!


Ty (Tyson) was born on Feb. 25 at 4:52 am. He was two weeks early and boy are we glad! He weighed 9 lbs. 3 oz. and 22 inches long. He would have been 10 lbs. had he gone full term. He is a healthy and happy baby so far. We are both doing well. Read on if you want to hear the whole story.





Tyson Lowell Glenn Carpenter



Baby Ty





Nate, Alison, Ty and Abby



This is me right before it all began. On Tuesday the 24th I had a check-up and my midwife told me that she was on call that night. I was done with being pregnant so I had her strip my membranes and told her I was taking castor oil that night. She said I was at a 3 so I would have a chance that it would work. She also said that if I came in with my body doing something on its own that she could help wink wink. So Josh cancelled his trial the next day and at 6:00 pm I took castor oil. I didn't take a lot because I felt like I was going to throw it all up.
By 9:00 pm nothing was happening, I hadn't even had to go to the bathroom so I thought that I hadn't taken enough castor oil and thought well it just isn't going to work. Around 9:30 pm the castor oil started to send me to the bathroom but still nothing in the contraction department. I was having some but nothing to get excited about. I fell asleep and woke up around 10:30 pm and still nothing new. Went back to sleep and woke up around 12:30 and got some water, watched some TV and felt some contractions but nothing new. I couldn't really go back to sleep so I decided to walk around our room to see if I could get something going.
I was having contractions around 2-5 minutes apart but they only lasted for 30 seconds or so. So I got in the shower to see if anything would change and they just continued the same way. Josh convinced me to call my midwife so I did. I really felt like if was false labor but she said to come in anyway. So we called our RS president to come and stay with the kids and Josh jumped in the shower. Within a couple of minutes of hanging up with the hospital my contractions became so much stronger. I was pounding on the shower door telling Josh to hurry because we needed to go.
As we drove to the hospital I was having contractions a minuted apart and they were 45-50 seconds long. I was so afraid that they were going to tell me that I was too far along for an epidural but I was only at a 4 when we got there. Things were slow that night so they hooked me up to an IV and Mr. Epidural man came and gave me my meds and 30 minutes later he was born. I went from a 4 to a 10 in an hour. He was born an hour and a half from the time we pulled into the hospital parking lot. He came out in two pushes. It really was easy and I feel great. I think the difference was that I was spinning everyday (6 days a week) until the week I had him. That week I walked on the treadmill.
He is handsome and a sweet baby. The kids love him to death and Nate will grab his hand and say "Baby likes me." We are so glad he is here.











13 comments:

Ms. JMU said...

he is so cute! looks like his daddy for sure. congratulations!! lucky you that he came early. mine seem to like coming late. now it's back to late feedings, diaper duty and all that other good stuff.

Stilovich Family said...

He is precious! Congrats! I am so glad that everything went well for you! Keep the pictures coming:)

Cristine said...

Congrats! He is so cute. I'm glad it went quick for you and I'm happy he decided to come early!!!

Shane and Michelle said...

I loved reading your birth story! Sounds like everything went beautifully! Baby Ty is darling!! I'm glad you are feeling good. I hope he sleeps through the night a lot sooner then Nate did! ;)

Melanni said...

Congratulations, Dana! He is so cute. I'm glad that everything went well. I love the picture of all of your kids looking at the new baby. It is priceless. And you look fabulous in that picture right before you had him, the spinning definately paid off (and you are wonder-woman b/c spinning kills me even when I'm not pregnant!)

Susannah said...

Yeah!!!! He is ADORABLE!!!! Congrats!!!! Love the name by the way!!

cabeandmelplus3 said...

OH congrats!! He is so cute!! I can't believe how fast he came!! Hope you are all doing good!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! If would have came just two days earlier he would have been born on my birthday. He is so cute. I am glad that you are both doing great.

Kris said...

He is beautiful Josh and Dana! Thanks for the details in your story. Can't wait to see him in person. Is July here yet?

NM Beans said...

Congratulations Dana and Josh, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing so I checked your blog and WOW -- Ty is here already. Your Ty was born just the way my Ethan was -- His birthday is Feb. 26th and he was two weeks early too. I hope the next few weeks are good for you with a new routine. What a sweet little baby. --- karen bean

GO Gray's said...

Congratulations. He is adorable!!!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Congrats he is so cute! He looks like a Carpenter for sure! (c: So glad everything went well and that he is finally here! I know that his siblings were SUPER excited about him!

About Me said...

congrats Dana and Josh, he is beautiful!!!